About Me

My photo
My name Troy Dunn, I like to engage in things that make you think. I enjoy going to sporting events when I can. I beleive there is a place for everyone to succeed if we guide them and train them while little. More about me. I grew up in a small town between New Orleans and Baton Rouge Louisiana. I am the second of three boys. I move to Texas in 1996 looking for a new start. Texas became everything I hoped it would. I re enrolled in College at the University of North Texas where I earned my BA in Recreation and Leisure Studies with a minor in Kines. After a long break I enrolled on-line to Tiffin University in Tiffin Ohio to persue my masters in MBA in Sports Management. I believe with this degree the sky is the limit for me, through the help of God it can.

Thursday, February 9, 2012

Recruiting and Fundraising. Are the two different or there is some similarities.

I have to agree with this article by Chris Delisio of Dayton University (OH) and Steve Fleming, Asst. Basketball Coach, Ashland University (OH) Recruiting & Fund-Raising.
Here is how they look at it.
When looking for your star athlete or donor you have to identify them. Just like every kid participating on a high school team my be a potential recruit the same goes for every individual in the world can be a potential donor.
2. Qualifying the Pool of prospects
Every coach is looking at the players and seeing if they are the piece of the puzzle that will make them a championship team and it's the same as for donors. Are they a fit with our school do we have the same things in common. I am sure people want to be part of a winning team and will give their last dime to have their name associated with that organization.
They go on to talk about ability and fit, contact with the prospect, research on your prospect, personal contact with the prospect, personal connections, personal visit to make the hit. Sometimes you being the coach show a prospect player or donor that you really want to start a relationship by visiting them personally. As a coach who is coaching at the high school level or a college coach wanting to be an athletic directors read the article and ask yourself, I'm ok having a sub par team with no money or I want to be in contention and that others or willing to invest money in my team.

Here is another link that can help with recruiting and fundraising. I think it make good sense to have people on your team that have the same passion as you do for your progam and school.
http://www.zimmerman-lehman.com/recruitingfundraisinginmind.htm

Improve your Recruiting and Fundraising Results

Building your enrollment and donations often comes down to relationships. Although it does not focus on sports I think it gives a key point that the get the top prospect athlete or donor it starts with relationships.
http://www.mailprint.com/education.htm

In the fragmented world of higher education, recruitment and development might seem like very different operations, but Mr. Lundquist doesn’t see it that way. “At its core, what admissions people are doing is very similar to what fund-raisers do,” he says. “You want to tell the story of the institution. It’s about reaching out to people and being respectful, and if they don’t want to hear from you, then you bug off.”
http://chronicle.com/blogs/headcount/what-fund-raisingrecruiting-have-in-common/22461

So as you can see  there is no difference between fund-raising and recruiting. It is done by just about all directors in charge of some school or program so coaches should do it as well. You can't just do on a leave the other part to someone else. I think if your doing both as a coach you know first hand what you are getting.

No comments:

Post a Comment